Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Visit to Quebec City


This past memorial day weekend, I took a short trip across the border to visit Quebec City. I finally decided to stay at the Frontenac. For those of you that have never been to the Old City of Quebec, you have no idea what this hotel is like. Everyone who has visited Quebec, knows where the Frontenac is. It is a huge castle fortress that is beyond glamorous. I usually stay at the Days Inn on the Rue de Hotels, or the Hotel Clarendon, which is very nice, but I always wanted to stay at the FAIRMONT LE CHâTEAU FRONTENAC.

I decided to splurge this weekend and stay for 2 nights. For a hotel that averages $600 CAN per night, I was lucky to find a deal for a King room with no view. However, to my surprise I was able to finagle a room with an amazing view of the St. Lawrence River and the Quebec boardwalk. Throughout the weekend, I could hear a saxophone playing in the distance from my room. The room was nice and the room service was awesome, but nothing compared to the pool and courtyard on my floor. I was on the 6Th floor, and so was the Club Frontenac. The Club was private for the floor and had a pool, kid's pool, hot tub, gym, and outdoor courtyard.

I went to my usual places, La Piazza for pizza and pasta. I never miss the Crepe place just a few steps from the Frontenac. On Sunday night, there was an outside orchestra playing to a light show and fireworks outside the old city walls. We walked around a bit, and enjoyed some street shows and acrobatics. I had fun and it was a very relaxing weekend trip.

What I didn't see were any fiddleheads in Quebec, however I did see the trucking companies that we use going back over the border. Ruma Fruit has fiddleheads today, so I may have been travelling next to our fiddleheads. I had a great time, and I totally recommend staying at the Frontenac.

(The above Frontenac Picture was submitted by jforest.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is not surprising that you did not find Fiddleheads in Quebec. Fiddleheads have been a New Brunswick tradition for over 300 years, it is just in the last 20 years or so that Fiddleheads have become popular west of the New Brunswick borders, thanks to MaCains Foods LTD. frozen foods division in Florenceville NB. and the many New Brunswickers who have left the province for the western provinces.