The basic recipe:
- Blanch fiddleheads in boiling water for 1 minute
- Remove from heat, drain, rinse and cool fiddleheads
- Heat pan without oil first (so that the oil 'hits' a hot pan, not a cold pan)
- Heat up oil in pan
- Add chopped garlic
- Add blanched fiddleheads
However, we are always looking for new ways to serve our little fronds. We found this recipe for Fiddlehead Fern and Potato Hash here. Two of our favorites: fiddles and fingerling potatoes!
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds small potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 1/2 pound fiddlehead ferns, cleaned and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
In a medium pot of salted water, bring potatoes to a boil and
cook until knife-tender, about 8 minutes. Add fiddleheads and cook
until bright green, about 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat and cook
shallot until golden, about 2 minutes. Add potatoes and fiddleheads and
cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Season with salt
What do you plan on doing with your first batch of fresh fiddleheads?Let us know!